Saturday, February 25, 2012

I Made a Drop Spindle

I wanted to use my drop spindle tomorrow at an SCA event and I couldn't find it. So I made one out of white Sculpey. Unfortunately my oven is possessed. I was supposed to bake it at 275 degrees for 15 minutes. So I set it modestly at 225. When I took the piece out 15 minutes later, it was very scorched. The oven thermometer read 350 degrees. I could have just lived with it like that. But I decided to glue decorative paper to the front and back with ModPodge. I made the shaft out of a poplar dowel. The hole in the disk shrank a bit as I expected so I enlarged it with a round file so the dowel would fit again. I dyed the dowel red and coated it with ModPodge as well. I needed a piece of wire to make the hook. I grabbed a large safety pin and cut the wire from that, using the super sharp end to push it into the dowel. Once it's all dry and put together I'll share a photo. I don't think it will be that durable since the Sculpey was old and a bit crumbly so I couldn't smooth it as well as I would have liked. But it will do for tomorrow and the project has potential. I'll just have to be careful not to drop it on anything hard. I am taking a straw mat with me tomorrow and I'll work over that in case the yarn breaks and the spindle goes flying like a top. So once again necessity is the mother of invention.

No comments: