Friday, October 23, 2009

Johnny Appleseed in Pasadena.


Blogger had the hiccups for a while there and I couldn't get on.
Today was knitting and crocheting. I'm trying out a book called ONESKEIN that I got at the library. I saw it at another library a few years ago but didn't check it out. I didn't realize it was the same book until I saw the rug on the last page. I'm going to have to try that. I love spiral rugs. It's one of those mindless projects that's going to take a long time, but you can do it when you aren't in the mood for fussy patterns. It's like a knitting meditation, and a way to use up yarn that's been sitting around too long feeling unloved.

I need to start working with my drop spindle again because my friend Mike asks me every time I see him if I've done any spinning lately. He's one of the paleo guys and is into primitive tools and going barefoot everywhere. He's vegan and lives on the cheap. I'm oddly fascinated with the guy. I guess it's because everyone else is trying to keep up with the joneses and buy a flat screen TV and an IPOD and a McMansion and Mike is just running around barefooted with his drop spindle hoping someone will hand him an apple. He's like a modern day Johnny Appleseed. Last time I saw Mike he'd just hopped a Chinese Junk and ridden it up the coast of CA from somewhere in Mexico. I never know what the guy will say next.

No comments: