Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Knitting, Painting and all that Jazz

I found a pattern on youtube last night for a knitted hat on 16" circular needles. So today I went on a quest to Joanne's to procur said needles.  Of the three or four brands they carry, they only had 16" circular needles in bamboo (Clover) and the smallest needle size they had was 8. I would have prefered size 6 or 7 because I already started another hat on double pointed needles in a smaller size, but it's the smallest they had so I got them.

For those of you familiar with the Knifty Knitter looms, I was happy to see Joanne's is now carrying another brand of looms with finer pegs for more delicate fabric. I've seen that type of wood loom on youtube videos. The large one was $44. I will wait for it to go on sale and hopefully get one. They also had a smaller size.

While I was there I picked up some fabric paint for some t-shirts I have in mind for my Etsy shop. And I got a fabric marbling kit by Jacquard as well. I was hoping my boyfriend could use it for the crown dip on arrows but he didn't seem to interested. I wanted to use my 40% off coupon on it, but it turns out it was already on sale for 25% off so I ended up paying a bit more than I wanted to.

I saw some trim and fabric for my steampunk costume, but at $17.00 a yard it's going to have to wait until I either sell more crafts or get some other income heading my way.

I was sorely tempted to buy more jewelry findings when they were buy 2 get one package free, but as I haven't sold any jewelry on Etsy at all I couldn't justify the expense right now. Maybe people will crack open their wallets closer to Christmas time.

When I got home I went to work transfering the hat I started on double pointed needles onto the 16" needles. I started at the tip, and I can't gauge just how big to increase it to so it will fit on an adult head. Even though the video says the size 16 is the right size for adult hats, the stitches are so crowded on the needle right now I really can't get a feel for the diameter.

And if you don't knit I've probably bored you already.

No comments: