Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day 2009


Actually the day is almost over. I would tell you what I got for Valentine's Day but the censors would bleep me....soooo.
I did more beadwork today. I finally got to do peyote (gourd) stitch around a cabachon. I can't tell you how many years I've been intimidated by doing that, and it's really not a huge deal. I glued the stones down first with fabric glue designed for gemstones and let them dry a few days. I guess that was the missing step. I never knew that it was okay to glue them down. There is something sacred about stones and it didn't seem right to put glue on them. But all the books said glue, so glue it is. And it keeps the stone securely in place while I put the beads around it. I can't believe I let such silly things intimidate me. If it doesn't look right I can easily pick it out and start again. No one is going to get shot or anything. So here it is Valentine's Day and I putting beads around hearts. I also used some freshwater dyed pearls. I've been wondering what I did with those pearls for years and then I found them a few days ago, just in time for this project. They were actually on the floor underneath my necklace rack. I don't know if the string broke or the cats knocked them down or what. But before I lose them again, I sewed them down. They won't get away this time. They are a very pale blue.

Remember when I mentioned I'd made woven earrings before sometime in the 80's? Well in one of my bead boxes I found some of those missing earrings. And they look brand new since they were tucked safely in a bead box. I got to thinking I made those when the first Long Beach Renaissance Faire started, so that was back in the 80's. Maybe 85 because I lived in Carson then. I got married in 1981. Anyway, I wonder if the thread would stay strong for 25 years. I'll probably just wear them myself. I wouldn't want to risk them breaking if a customer bought them. But it made me wonder just how much stuff we learn to do, and then forget we know it, and then we have to learn it all over again. Feels like I've been in a time warp for 25 years. Shouldn't I be doing new things instead of walking the same path over and over again? Come to think of it they are now vintage earrings. HA HA HA. Shows you how old I am.

No comments: