Thursday, September 09, 2010

Beaded Spiral Vessel in Peyote Stitch

Part of being an artist is making things to sell and posting them somewhere people can find them.  I always have a to-do list as long as my arm

But perhaps even more important to me as an artist is learning new skills. I often find myself abandoning my carefully laid out to-do list to wander off and learn something new. Such was the case today when I saw some projects with beads in some of my many books and wanted to take a crack at some of them.  I found a spiral vessel in my Peyote stitch book. I gathered 12 different colors of beads in several types and sizes and set out to learn the new design.

It was a challenge.  The first attempt went off course in so many ways, but I learned enough to see the potential in it.  The second attempt went a lot better, but one of the bead choices was too large and not playing well with it's neighbors.  So I set that aside and started again.  This time I do believe it's going to turn out. This isn't the kind of project that can be finished in a day, and each round will have more and more beads, so this is going to take awhile. But here are some of the beginning photos for you to enjoy. You can click on the photos to see the larger ones.

No comments: