Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Zakka Zakka Zakka

I went a little crazy today and dove head first into Zakka. Evidently I'm the only one that didn't know about this trend, because when I looked it up on Pinterest, there were dozens of boards of Zakka crafts and home decor items. When I found out we were going to Hobby Lobby today I specifically looked for fabric in muted tones to use for Zakka. I never buy muted tones, so I literally had no fabric that would work for this aesthetic. Lucky for me all calico was 30% off or I would have just walked away. The muslin I needed wasn't on sale, but it was only $2.99 a yard and I used my 40% off coupon. So visions of little Zakka elephants are dancing through my head. I have to preshrink everything first so after I get to the laundromat I'll show you the fabric. I sorely miss having a washer and a dryer or it would have been done already.

Zakka combines things I love doing; namely patchwork, embroidery, and sewing. A friend of a friend gave me two books full of Zakka projects, but since I intend to sell the things I design, I won't be using any of the things in the book, just the concept. I already ran across one blog where they are having a sew along of every single project in the book! 

My daughter married into a Japanese family, so I'm thinking she will love this Japanese inspired style trend. I need to figure out something cool to make for her or my grandson.

Love the chicken fabric.

Pre-washing the fabrics I chose for Zakka crafts.

Combining Halloween and Zakka

No comments: