Monday, August 20, 2012

Let's Make A Bow For Archery

Today was bow making day at Arroyo Seco and it was great to be out in nature. I stalked a squirrel and hopefully I got some good photos. I'll find out tomorrow when I find my camera. He didn't see me walk right up behind him and somehow I managed to take 3 photos before he spotted me in his peripheral vision and shot off like a rocket. Hope he doesn't need therapy. I wouldn't want him going nuts.
Getting ready to make board bows.

Gabriella finishes her first long bow.

Guy explaining how to make bows.

Splinters happen. Carry tweezers.


We had four new bow makers, all young women. Gabriella was also there and finished the bow she started 2 months ago. It came out lighter than she expected so it looks like she'll have to make a new bow. But it looks great and will make someone else the perfect bow. Ken and Barbara and little Jack couldn't make it.  Barbara is about to have a baby any day now, and going into labor 2 hours from home isn't really a risk they wanted to take. With any luck we'll get to see the new baby at the next meeting in a month, and if not then, maybe the following month.

Guy was busy every minute helping someone make a bowstring or string a bow or helping with the tillering. Busy busy busy.

I started knitting a jester hat. I only had brown with me, so I didn't get very far.  I didn't want to use too much brown because brown is just not a merry color.


Lizard sunning itself on the rocks.



I didn't take my juggling equipment because I thought it would be too hot.  Turns out it was just fine in the deep shade and I could have at least gotten 30 minutes of practice in. It's past my bedtime so I'll finish this tomorrow.

No comments: