Friday, October 11, 2013

Apple Apocalypse


I had been babying my apple heads for three days. In the hot daytime, I’d put them outdoors to dry on the roof of the truck. In the evening, I’d heat the oven for a few minutes and leave them in there. But then we had a stormy day, and I didn’t want them to mold. So after dinner that night I put the apples in the oven and left it on the default, which is 350 degrees, and set the timer for 3 minutes. On our oven, when the timer dings, the oven turns off. So after I set it, I went in the living room, and heard the timer, and didn’t give it another thought. But it is a good thing I didn’t go to bed early that night. At midnight I was on my computer when a sickeningly sweet smell entered my awareness. After a time I grew curious and tried to identify the smell. Kind of like burnt sugar or…baked apples. OMG. I ran into the kitchen and as you can see in the photo, it was an apple apocalypse. I was so bummed because I really wanted to see the way the faces came out.
I don’t know if I forgot to set the timer, or if the oven malfunctioned. But I figure they baked for 2 ½ hours at 350.

Apple meltdown.

I let a couple of days pass and then I went to buy more apples. Here are the new guys. 

This time I soaked them in lemon water and sprinkled them with salt.

My man and I.

Fun apple head photo manip.

Broad nose.

Love the mouth.

I can't wait to see how they look dried.

Indian or witch nose.


Experimental Amigurumi Style Face

No comments: