Saturday, February 22, 2014

Sand Candle From Repurposed Wax Part Two

I was so excited to dig up the candle this morning.


  1. Untie the wick from the stick. Use the stick to loosen the wet sand from around the candle. It's like digging up treasure.
  2. Brush excess sand off of candle.
  3. Now I could have either let it dry and then brushed more sand off, or rinsed it off with a hose. I used the hose and it only took a few minutes.
    I can't wait to see what it looks like!


    Loosen the sand around the candle.

    Brush off the excess sand.
    4. Trim the wick
    After rinsing with a hose.
  4.  

    5. Eventually I'll make the candle level by sitting the candle in a old warm skillet and carefully adjusting the legs.
    6. If you want to remove more of the sand, you can dip the candle in a pot of simmering water. But I like my sand candles sandy. It reminds me of the beach.

Shell detail. See the layers of pink and brown?
This is a demo photo for the blog. I'd never burn a candle this close to books.
     
Finished Sand Candle
When I level it, it will look like this.
    If you make one I'd love to see it. Put a link in the comments.  
    TIP: I collect old pots and pans for candle making and keep them in a box for that purpose. Probably best not to use your candle making pots and  pans for making food. Thrift stores and yard sales are a great place to look for old pots and pans. 

No comments: