Thursday, November 12, 2009

Retail Therapy


My daughter and I practiced some retail therapy yesterday by going to Joann's and Art Supply Warehouse. We also drove to Pearl in Huntington Beach only to find a vacant building. And another one bites the dust. Thank you economy.

At Joann's they were having another 10 for $10 Simplicity pattern sale and I finally got the archery costume pattern I've been trying to get since before Halloween. I also got some patterns for pillows and home dec items. And another apron pattern or two.

Sadly and a commentary on our times, Joann's now has their beads under lock and key. They installed glass cases for almost all the beads and now you have to wait for an employee to come and unlock them as they stand there and wait for you to decide. Unfortunately, but a sign of the times that theft is way up. Beads are just too easy to shop lift for those with sticky fingers. But how embarassing would it be to get arrested for a handful of baubles?

At Art Supply Warehouse I finally got some water soluble wax crayons for mixed media. I've really admired Willowing's work with wax crayons.  Those cost me dearly, a set of 24 was about $30.00. But supplies like that last for years if you take care of them. I already have water color pencils but being a fine pointed tool it takes too long to cover a big area, so the water soluble crayons will be a great help when I need to cover a lot of space fast. If you have no idea what I'm talking about I'll make a video soon.

I also got 2 square canvases and some more gesso. I feel like I'll go mad if I don't start painting again.
Its so hard justifying buying art supplies when I'm making no sales, so please buy something so I can stop feeling guilty.

No comments: