Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tapo Campground




I need to spend the rest of the week preparing for an archery event in Simi Valley at Tapo Campground. It's an overnight camping event which means bringing the tent, the sleeping bags and all the things that go with camping, but I also told them I'd set up a vending table and do free face painting for the kiddos, so I have to take a canopy, inventory, tables and chairs. But we only have one truck, so I won't be able to take a whole lot with me.

My problem is my attitude. I've had discouraging results at craft fairs, so it's hard for me to work up the enthusiasm necessary to do the prep work. When we feel like we will be successful at something it fills us with good energy and a drive to get things done. In my case the opposite is true. It's not a great event to vend at but it's free, and it's a chance to get my name out there. And there is a 100% chance that I won't sell anything if I don't even bother to set up a table. I just don't want to get my hopes up. Most of these people are my friends and they are used to trading for what they want. They all have other jobs and don't need to sell things. So just by being there I'm going against the grain of what they are used to.
But I've got nothing else going for me so I need to do this.

Once the archers head out to the hills for the event, I'll be alone the majority of the day. So the only chance to really sell is before they set off, and after they return late in the afternoon. So in those down times, I'll work on crafts at least.
The weather should be beautiful. I'll post some photos from previous years.

No comments: