Friday, June 21, 2013

Shopping Day

Today I got a rare shopping day to replace supplies. Art supplies are getting more and more expensive, yet people seem more and more unwilling to buy art for prices that create a living wage for artists like me.

I got some Bristol paper for calligraphy and illumination. And since I lost my pens when I moved, I bought new calligraphy pens and ink.  I also got paper for mixed media, so I won't use up all my calligraphy paper on paintings. None of the supplies were on sale, but luckily I looked on the web first and managed to get a 40% off any one item coupon for Joanne's that Michael's honored. I also got a Michael's ad good for $10 off if you spent $50.  So between the two coupons I saved $15.

I want to crochet some fingerless gloves and I found some thin yarn on clearance for $1.99 a skein. Did you know each skein has a code telling you the weight of the yarn? Look for the glyph that says 1 for fine yarn, etc. and you'll find it easier to be sure your yarn is matching your pattern.

I wish I'd had more money, because I had a  30% off your total purchase coupon for Joanne's. I could have really stocked up on quilting fabric, but it was expensive enough getting the calligraphy supplies and the glove supplies.

McCalls has a new steampunk pattern out.  And also a summer blouse pattern I want. But I will wait for a .99 sale for those items.

It's expensive being multi-talented. I think Michael's overcharged me for the calligraphy ink. The locking cabinet at the back of the store said either $3.99 or $4.99, but when I checked my receipt in the car it was $5.50. But by then I was too hot and tired to care, so I started my 45 minute drive home.

No comments: