Thursday, March 04, 2010

You Can Heal Your Life

I've been re-reading You Can Heal Your Life by Louise L. Hay. It first came out in 1984 which is probably when I read it. It is a life changing book. Recently she was on Oprah. My only regret is I didn't read that book every year of my life and it took over 20 years to come back to my life again. Upon re-reading it I realized I have a habit of being overly critical of myself and mean and bossy to myself. I also think I've been punishing myself for what I see as my failures as an artist. So now I'm trying to be a kinder and gentler person to myself. One thing I noticed right off is when you start working on your issues, things tend to get worse before they get better. I feel like I've opened the flood gates or Pandora's box if you will. This book isn't a quick fix. You have to hold a mirror up to yourself (literally) and look into your eyes and tell yourself that you are willing to change and give up old thought patterns. I feel like my body is trying to purge itself of years of accumulated self loathing. I just want to get back to being productive.

No comments: