Thursday, June 30, 2011

Loom at the Park

The book I got the directions out of.

Using a comb as the beater.

The shuttle and the loom

The moss green and turqua scarf I made in the backyard.
Yesterday I took my loom to the park by the library and set it up for weaving. It was challenging with the breeze but I finally got it under control. A few people wandered by and looked at me like I'd sprouted antlers but no one came over to talk. I'm not sure if it was because I was the only white woman in the park, or if they just couldn't tear themselves away from their cell phones and endless rounds of singing Itsy Bitsy spider.
It seems I can get about half a belt done in one sitting.  By then my attention starts to wander, or I have to find a bathroom, or my shoulders and neck start to cramp up. How did our foremothers do it with all the butter churning, soapmaking, wheat grinding and wood chopping? We are weaklings compared to them, or at least I am.

No comments: