Monday, August 11, 2008

Traveling crafts



Yesterday the lady on the bus in front of me was trying to work on a full size quilt. We got off the bus and onto the train. Most of the approximately 100 people all tried to get on the same 2 train cars, including the quilting lady. I walked all the way to the other end of the train and got on, and was able to snag a seat alone. About 20 minutes later the quilting lady showed up again. Evidently all the other cars were packed but a single seat was nowhere to be found. I saw her sit by someone skinny and start quilting again.

I did take some quilting small enough it fits in a baggie, but didn't want to risk losing the needle or sprawling too much. And sure enough the first thing the quilting lady did when she was on the bus is drop her thread and thimble which went rolling under someone else's seat.

I contented myself with knitting a circular scarf and taught another woman how to knit as well. She was making good progress on some garter stitch and I sent her home with the yarn and needles so she can keep practicing.

You can see in the photo the crowd of people all boarding the train in Santa Barbara. I've never seen it so crowded. Those are just the people to the right of me. There were more people to the left.

No comments: